Networker

Re: [Networker] How to use savepnpc with a backup "set" command?

2013-07-25 10:26:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to use savepnpc with a backup "set" command?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:18:58 -0400
> "As I pointed out, the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset includes all
> drives for this server. So you get duplicate backups, if you use the
> 2 client definitions you suggest."
>
> That was correct but it depends on your OS/NW combination.
> At least with W2K8 & NW 8.0.1.1 this is not true any longer. The DR
> save set is just some KB in size.

That one saveset, labeled DISASTER_RECOVERY:, is very small, however since
it *also* backups up all the "system critical volumes", in reality, if you
submit a backup job using only the saveset DISASTER_RECOVERY:, it is much
larger than just a few KB in size.

> Please have a look at the example for one of our SAP (SQL) servers -
> of course i know that the VSS 'volume' should also be backed up.
> The DB files are spread across a lot of volumes but only the one
> with SAP services is listed in addition to C:\ .

As I have said, the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset pulls in other volumes as
well (or can). So saying it;s only a few KB in size is misleading. I have
2 servers where issuing a backup job that includes only saveset
DISASTER_RECOVERY results in jobs over 700G in size.

In your example, the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset would be all of drive C:
and all of drive H:. That is certainly more than a few KB.