Networker

[Networker] strange Windows volume name when using All saveset

2013-07-22 19:31:58
Subject: [Networker] strange Windows volume name when using All saveset
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:22:51 -0500
All-

Server: Linux (RHEL 6.4) x86_64, NetWorker 7.6.2.5
Client: Windows 2008R2, NetWorker 8.0.1.5 or 8.0.2

We've been upgrading some of our backup clients to the 8.0.x series,
in preparation for upgrading our main NetWorker server to 8.0.2.
The reasons why we elected to go clients first for some of our clients
are somewhat complicated, but it is a supported configuration according
to EMC.

Our main Windows admins typically don't use the "All" saveset when
a Windows client is configured for backup.  Usually they specify each
volume, e.g.

        C:\
        E:\
        F:\

They've been doing it this way for years.  I believe the reason is
because they don't want the special VSS-related and DISASTER_RECOVERY
savesets, because they never intend to use those special savesets.
They would do a fresh OS install, install any applications, and then
recover data normally.

However, one of our admins installed a 2008R2 box (fully patched) and then
installed the 8.0.2 client on it, but left the NetWorker saveset as "All".

While backups are happening for that client, the NMC and the text-based
nsrwatch utility never show "C:" being backed up.  Instead, we see
messages about the volume

        \\?\VOLUME{5CD8AD39-E42F-11E2-B577-806E6F6E6963}\

Is this "normal" when using the All saveset, or does it indicate a change
or problem with the 8.0.1.5/8.0.2 client, or perhaps with how the 2008R2
client itself is configured?

Tim
edu