Networker

Re: [Networker] Choosing Enterprise backup software

2013-07-04 09:30:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Choosing Enterprise backup software
From: Conrad Macina <cmacina AT NAC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 09:22:07 -0400
It's going to be very difficult for anyone to come up with a definitive
recommendation without a bit more information about your environment. Are you
going to be backing up to tape or disk? What are your remote replication and
disaster recovery requirements? And, of course, your budget.

I'm probably not the best person to answer this because while I know NetWorker
fairly well, I have no knowledge whatsoever of NetBackup. My friends who know
both tell me that NetBackup is more complete out of the box, but NetWorker is
less expensive and offers better support. I'm 100% confident that either will
do a good job in your environment.

I do have one question though: Why are your choices limited to NetWorker or
NetBackup? I'd think that a deduplication product such as EMC's Avamar would at
least deserve a place at the table.

Good luck. Whatever you choose, I don't think you can go too far wrong.

Conrad Macina