Networker

[Networker] NW 8 storage nodes with NW 7.6.2 server - results

2013-06-24 09:44:21
Subject: [Networker] NW 8 storage nodes with NW 7.6.2 server - results
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:44:01 -0400
OK, so this past weekend I upgraded all 9 storage nodes to 8.0.1.5, while
leaving my NW server at 7.6.2. All worked fine, as the Readme says it
should. I did have to do 3 things:

1. I had to add "save -a "'ignore-all-missing-system-files=yes"' to all my
NW 8 clients (not just the storage nodes), otherwise the ALL directive did
not work. Seems that at least 50% of the time, the NW client failed with
that error on the ALL directive.
2. As I expected, you have to (well, should) delete the NSR peer
information on the server for the updated clients.
3. The default installation path has changed for NW 8. It always used to
"\Program Files\Legato\nsr" (on Windows); now it's "\Program Files\EMC
Networker\nsr". You can redirect it back to the original path (as I did,
when upgrading a Workgroup Edition server, so it could find all the server
history). Not a big deal, but if you have scripts that check the old
location, you may need to modify them.

Otherwise, it all seemed to work. Now I need to finish re-licensing my
hosts. Then I can rename my main NW server, then upgrade it to NW 8. Then
I can upgrade the remaining clients to NW 8 at leisure.