Networker

Re: [Networker] 8.0.1.5 client to NW 7.6.2 server - some work, some don't ...

2013-06-20 11:45:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] 8.0.1.5 client to NW 7.6.2 server - some work, some don't ...
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:37:19 -0400
> And I was wrong, apparently (big surprise, eh?): 8.0.1.5 saveset ALL
> worked without an error ...

Well, sorta ... Win2012 and Win2003 worked without problems, using client
8.0.1.5 to NW server 7.6.2. 1 is a 64bit client, 1 is a 32bit client. All
worked as expected.

The 2 Win2008R2 clients did not. Same error as before:

* dctrtst007:DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ System Writer - ERROR: Failed to save
FileGroup files, writer = System Writer
* dctrtst007:DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ System Writer - Error saving writer
System Writer
* dctrtst007:DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ System Writer - ERROR: Aborting backup of
saveset VSS SYSTEM FILESET: because of the error with writer System
Writer.
* dctrtst007:DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ System Writer - Error saving
* dctrtst007:DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ 90110:save: save of 'VSS SYSTEM
FILESET:\' to server '<NW server>' failed: No such file or directory
* dctrtst007:DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ 90123:save: VSS save walkers: the backup
of save set 'VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\' failed.

So the backup fails, before it ever gets to any drives. If I bring up the
GUI to try a directed recover, I see only half the VSS entries I should
see, no DISASTER_RECOVERY, and no drives. So that error makes the whole
job fail, it doesn't just move onto the next element to be backed up.

VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS shows no errors, and all VSS WRITERS as stable.  The
only thing the Windows event log shows is "backup failed". Networker log
(on client) shows nothing more than the above.

And, of course, all the storage nodes I wanted to upgrade this weekend are
all Win2008 R2 ... I guess that will be out.

I will try live Tech Support; maybe they can help ...