Networker

Re: [Networker] networker server as VM

2013-06-19 17:21:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] networker server as VM
From: dave2 AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:15:11 -0400
Hi,

The backup target is currently a FC VTL, attached to the backup server. No
possibility of converting it to iSCSI.

I had come to the same conclusion for the backup server being able to write
to tape. (While VMDirectPath I/O could potentially do this, VMware doesn't
officially support FC tape, and I don't like the idea of configuring based
on edge cases)

NetWorker version—lets says the current release of 8.x. Right now at 7.6,
but we would plan to upgrade as part of the reconfiguration.

However, given that the only thing that the NetWorker server *must* write
locally are bootstrap and index backups, I was thinking that someone else
may have run into this issue.

I'm not concerned about backups—we'll send those to tape via physical
storage nodes; that is more and more a recommended architecture by EMC for
larger configurations to reduce load on the backup server anyways.

We are considering using a local diskdevice, but I'm concerned about adding
complexity to the configuration:

--Having to monitor the local AFTD (disk space and diskbackup license) as
the index backups grow

--Having to stage index and bootstrap backups to tape.

--Whether we can restore indexes backed up to a storage node. (I haven't
validated this, but I suspect it'll work fine)

--Ensuring that we can do easy mmrecoveries. I have a dim memory of testing
trying to do this from a storage node, but that was somewhere in the
5.5/6.0 days, and I don't trust my memory.

Thanks,

Dave