Networker

Re: [Networker] Renaming a server; question about clients

2013-06-19 15:46:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Renaming a server; question about clients
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:39:27 -0400
> Michael
>
> have you tried doing a directed recovery of the new  servers file from
the
> server to all the clients (before renaming the server) ? ... I don't see
why
> that shouldn't work. The nsr.dir directives on the clients would be a
problem
> for the recoveries. They apply to backups only (or do they?).
>
> I haven't tried it myself yet. I'm back from work and the idea just came
up.

I have not tried this to all clients, no. But I have done backups, and
directed recovers, since adding the new name of the server to the servers
file, and re-starting the service on the testing clients. And it all
worked as expected.

NW doesn't seem to care that there is no server with the new name existing
yet. It does care when you install a new client; I couldn't add the new
name to a new client, it told me the new server name didn't exist (which
is correct). So I just added the current name, and then after the install
was done, stopped the service; modified the servers file; restarted the
service, and went about my business. :-)