Networker

Re: [Networker] Verify: NW 8 storage node *will* work with NW 7.6.2 server?

2013-06-18 15:20:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Verify: NW 8 storage node *will* work with NW 7.6.2 server?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:13:48 -0400
> > But I need to verify - the storage nodes at NW 8 will work properly
with
> > my NW 7.6.2 server?
>
> EMC NetWorker 8.0SP1 Installation Guide, chapter 4, page 40:
>
>     * A NetWorker 7.6.x server supports NetWorker 8.0SP1 storage node.

Yes, I remember you said that. I was hoping to hear from someone actually
doing it, tho - to ensure that this statement is actually correct. :-)

> I would, however, recommend you read the "NetWorker Technical Guidance
> to Upgrading NetWorker 8.0 and Later" doc, especially the "Known
Problems"
> list starting on page 37.

Good point. This just might catch someone:

VSS backup performed with NetWorker 7.6 SP2 cannot be recovered using
NetWorker 7.6 SP3 or later

NW133490

A VSS backup that was performed using NetWorker 7.6 SP2 cannot be
recovered using
NetWorker 7.6 SP3 or later. The VSS system file recovery fails with an
error similar to the
following:

VSS BCD BOOT FILES has not been successfully recovered.

Workaround
After performing the upgrade, a Full level backup of the system must be
performed so that
the VSS system save sets can be recovered.
Note: Only the VSS system save sets cannot be recovered from the NetWorker
7.6 SP2
backup; all other data can be recovered using the normal recovery
procedure.

So as long as you don't need to do a system-level recovery after you
upgrade, but before your first backup with the new client version, you
should be good ...