Networker

Re: [Networker] Tapes Marked Full Prematurely when Cloning

2013-06-15 07:47:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tapes Marked Full Prematurely when Cloning
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:41:01 +0300
On Friday 14 June 2013 15:51:39 Eric Horn wrote:
> I'm on version 8.0.1.4 of NW and the server os is CentOS 5.2 (32).
>
> We have an HP MSL4048 Jukebox with 2 drives.   Up until earlier this year the
> backups fit two tapes and then they were cloned and life was good.    Since
> we have gone to 3 tapes, we are having more and more clone failures due to
> "tape marked full prematurely".   I've gone down the support road with HP and
> did all the firmware updates, tried new tapes, etc. to no avail.   I've
> opened up a couple of tickets with EMC over the past few months (one is still
> open) and no solution yet.
>
> Here's the odd part (to me), I do a backup on friday and when the friday
> clone fails, I can take those friday clone tapes and label them for monday as
> the backup tapes and they hold the full amount.    Has anyone experienced
> anything like this?

Networker will mark the tapes as full when encountering a write error. the
source of that can be
alot of things. But the first thing to do is to scan the daemon.raw file for
the I/O error before the
"arked prematurely full" message. The tape drives of today can normally tell
you something
about the reason for the I/O error. Then go from there.
You should also have a look in the kernel log file of CentOS and try to find
the error message
from the kernel from the failing write.

Best
Dag