Networker

[Networker] Migrating from Win32 (x86) to Win64 (x86-x64) - same name, different hardware

2013-06-04 10:32:46
Subject: [Networker] Migrating from Win32 (x86) to Win64 (x86-x64) - same name, different hardware
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:24:32 -0400
So I need to migrate my existing NW 7.6.2 server from Win2003 (32bit) to
NW 7.6.2 on Win2008 R2. The new server will have the same name and IP as
the old server. So I used the Networker Procedure Generator, and chose to
just migrate to new host.
(effectively, it's like doing a DR recover, you use the mmrecov command
after installing onto the new server. . I'm not sure if I need to run
"nsrck -L7" to recover index for all 150 clients, or if I can just copy
over the whole "index" folder from the old server. That's a separate
question, however.

When I was working with Tech Support on an unrelated issue, I mentioned
the above. And TS told me that what I would be doing would be a
cross-platform migration, and I should proceed accordingly. However, the
procedure Generator explicitly says:

"Some scenarios that are a direct upgrade and do not require a
cross-platform migration process are:

Change from Windows 32bit (x86) to Windows 64bit (x86-64)"

So now I don't know which to do - the regular migration to new host with
the same name and IP address  (as I described above), or the
cross-platform migration (also with the same name and IP address). As far
as I know, the hostid will *not* change, because the DNS name and IP
address of the 64bit machine will be the same as the current 32bit
machine, and with a cross-platform migration, it says that the hostid
*does* change (which means new license enablers).

So: am I right that I am doing just a regular migration from one host to
another, and not a cross-platform migration? (even the cross-platform
migration guide says that). Yet TS told me otherwise.

Has anybody done this (Win32 to Win64)? If so, which method did you use?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM