Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux RHEL 6.4 client issue

2013-06-02 08:12:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux RHEL 6.4 client issue
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 15:07:07 +0300
Actually, this is a known bug with NW on RHEL6. With RHEL6 they switched from portmapper to rpcbind. The client has issues with registering itself with rpcbind, so rpcinfo -p doesn't show the service at all. I had an SR opened for that (42683384) and this is the reply I got:

Yaron

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I've been in discussions with NetWorker core development engineering and now it's clear why rpcinfo -p is not showing the NetWorker daemons as registered with rpcbind on RHEL 6 Enterprise.

If you stop NetWorker on the RHEL 6 Enterprise server and run:

strace nsrexecd -D9

this shows that the attempt to bind to rpcbind is failing due to:

Cannot register service with portmapper: Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak

If you create a file in /etc/sysconfig called rpcbind with the following content:

RPCBIND_ARGS=-i

This will start rpcbind in insecure mode when it is restarted, although I suspect this is not the best idea for security reasons.

From the man page for rpcbind:

-i ``Insecure'' mode. Allow calls to SET and UNSET from any host.
             Normally rpcbind accepts these requests only from the loopback
             interface for security reasons.  This change is necessary for
             programs that were compiled with earlier versions of the rpc
library and do not make those requests using the loopback inter-
             face.

If you start rpcbind in insecure mode and then run rpcinfo -p then the NetWorker daemons do show up in the rpcinfo output on systems running RHEL 6 Enterprise.

NetWorker is compiled with the earlier version of the rpc libraries to allow compatibility with older versions of Linux and Solaris which do show nsrexecd with rpcinfo -p correctly.

As the reporting of the NetWorker programs with rpcinfo -p is a non-critical issue (as it does not impact the ability of NetWorker to correctly backup and recover data) the issue will not be addressed until the versions of Linux and Solaris using the older version of the rpc libraries are no longer supported.

Please let me know if you require anything further on this service request or if it can be closed.

Many thanks

Regards

Mark