Networker

[Networker] NetWorker media: (alert) waiting for LTO Ultrium-4 tape xxx

2013-05-18 10:30:15
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker media: (alert) waiting for LTO Ultrium-4 tape xxx
From: jeronimo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 07:26:43 -0700
Let me please get back to this.

There's still something I don't understand... I believe all of this is related
to a complete misunderstanding of how notifications work (or the configuration
thereof).

There are several notifications for the same Event and Priority, that is
Event=Media and Priority=Alert.

Their name is different and the mail they send is different.

But why are in there like that?

Name=Saveset marked suspect, Event=Media, Priority=Alert, Action=/usr/bin/mail
-s "Saveset marked suspect" root
Name=Volume marked full, Event=Media, Priority=Alert, Action=/usr/bin/mail -s
"Volume marked full" root

I get all of the four mails defined in the notifications for the same
(event,priority) tuple when the following happens in the log:

05/18/13 07:18:44 backupserv nsrd media alert event: Waiting for 1 writable
volume(s) to pool 'x' tape(s) on backupserv

While that doesn't surprise me a lot (since it is indeed a media alert), can
someone shed some light on why this is like that?

Let me say the following too:

The config we have was very early Networker on Solaris, now it's simply Linux.

There were some notifications in there (like the media alerts from above) whose
action was "/usr/some-non-existing-path-on-linux/mail". Since one cannot change
the action, we simply copied those notifications and put the correct path to
the mail program in there.

Did we maybe copy some old default config that acts differently once copied?

Thanks!