Networker

[Networker] Linux guest file-level restore with VMWare VADP-proxy config?

2013-04-19 13:30:33
Subject: [Networker] Linux guest file-level restore with VMWare VADP-proxy config?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 12:22:36 -0500
All-

Based on what we've read recently, if you're using the VADP-proxy method
to back up VMWare-hosted systems, file-level recovery is only available
for Windows guests.

Does anyone know if file-level recovery in the VADP-proxy config is
planned for some future version for Linux guests?  It's obviously more
complicated for Linux because of the multiple filesystems that are
available, but the vfs layer should alleviate some of the issues.

Our VMWare expert was caught off guard by NetWorker's limitation for a
VADP-proxy config.  He's suggesting we consider Veaam for our VMWare
backups, and I can't say I blame him.

Tim
edu