Networker

[Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?

2013-04-06 04:31:56
Subject: [Networker] Data Domain in mixed BOOST/VTL mode?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 01:36:17 -0500
Any gotchas or caveats for using a Data Domain in "mixed mode", where some
hosts use BOOST and some access the DD as a VTL?

We don't have a Data Domain yet, but there's a good chance we'll be
replacing our traditional tape library with one by mid year.  Before that
happens, I would take our NetWorker server (on RHEL 6.4 x86_64) to
NetWorker 8.0sp1 or later, and I would get our clients updated to 8.x as
well.

Our Networker server and the Data Domain will have 10 GiB connectivity,
but most of the backup clients currently just have 1 GiB ethernet.  Our
largest clients have 4 GiB FC SAN connectivity, though, so our SAN folks
are advocating having those clients access the DD as a SAN-based VTL, so
that backups and more importantly restores can utilize the higher-speed
4 GiB SAN fabric.  The idea makes sense, but I'm a little concerned
about what caveats, gotchas, or complexity this will add to both the
DD config and the NetWorker config.

I'm assuming I'll need a "SAN Storage Node" license for each SAN client
that wishes to directly access the DD as a VTL, or is that not the case?

Any tips or words of wisdom that people could provide would be greatly
appreciated,

Tim
edu