Networker

Re: [Networker] DeDupe options

2013-03-22 14:34:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] DeDupe options
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:31:33 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] DeDupe options, Phil Myers said (at 12:27pm on...:

We're currently looking at options for deduplication.  Avamar looks good
to us but it is prohibitively expensive, the quoted cost being somewhere
around 30,000 per terabyte for a 20TB data store.  We're looking to back
up our 400+ VMWare guests using dedupe.

Would any of you have any suggestions for similar but less expensive
products?  It can be source-based or target-based, and replication would
be nice.

As others have said, give Data Domain a look.

I'm leading a project at my university to modernize how we do backups,
so I've done a lot of the same research you probably have.  I asked some
questions about Data Domain vs. Avamar back in November of 2012 and got
a number of really great responses that filled in a lot of blanks for me.
You may want to take a look at the list archives on listserv.temple.edu
for the thread.

One thing to watch out for: before NetWorker 8, Avamar was the clear
winner for backing up VMWare environments.  It had much better VMWare
integration than a NetWorker 7.x + Data Domain solution.

Even though NetWorker 8.x has been out for more than 6 months, the EMC
product documentation and even EMC sales doesn't really reflect how much
NetWorker 8.x + Data Domain has narrowed the gap with Avamar.  When you
say "VMWare" to EMC sales, my guess is they'll automatically pitch Avamar,
despite the fact that NetWorker 8.x + DD can do source based de-dupe and
has the VADP Proxy support that was previously Avamar-only.

Tim
edu