Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed on upgrade and migration of NW 7.6.2 to NW 8

2013-02-27 09:15:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed on upgrade and migration of NW 7.6.2 to NW 8
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:14:47 -0500
On Feb 27, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
wrote:

>> SO:
>>
>> 1. Migrate to new OS and hardware first.
>> 2. Wait until everything has been working for a couple weeks or so
> (enough
>> time for all schedules to have run on the new hardware).
>
> BTW, my boss thinks this is a bit excessive. As he says, why should NW
> care what OS it's on, and whether it's 32 or 64bit? The program either
> works or it doesn't. Changing from 32bit to 64bit should be No Big Deal.

When I (on Linux) in 2009 did the 32bit to 64bit conversion, I had to get new
license auth codes because the calculation of the hostid changed and no longer
had the 32bit sign extension bug for my ip address.  Maybe you are lucky enough
that you won't have that issue, but the 32bit to 64bit change is *not* trivial
for NetWorker because of the things it does that are affected by the number of
bits being used.

You will also find that as you carry the media database forward the fact it was
created on a 32bit system will expose some limitations (backups greater than
2TB will suddenly be reported wrongly) on the 64bit version.

Hopefully, those issues are only with the Linux version of the code and not
also in the Windows version, but I doubt it.

- Frank