Networker

[Networker] Device automatic disabled now backup are failing

2013-02-26 13:19:31
Subject: [Networker] Device automatic disabled now backup are failing
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:19:24 -0800
In fact the source is old NW behavior which dated back years in time (maybe
from the very beginning?). I verified last year that it still exists. This is
how NW works:

  - When you label a media, each good backup SW must read the label at the
beginning to prevent accidental overwriting.
  - If it is a virgin tape, this will of course result in a read error. This is
usually not a problem as it will be cleared later. Not when labeling a bunch of
tapes ;-)
  - When you label more tapes than the "max. consecutive errors" (default: 20)
the device will disabled (now put into service mode).

How can you solve the issue:
  - Increase the "Max. consecutive errors" value. But this could be problematic
whenever a true problem will occur.
  - Do not label more than 20 tapes with one job.
  - Use auto media management (AMM) for the jukebox.