Networker

Re: [Networker] Desktop Backup

2013-02-26 09:37:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Desktop Backup
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:36:44 -0500
> Assuming its a run of the mill desktop workstation where it just
> holds the OS and users' files (not a DB or any dynamic data), the
> regular NetWorker client and an understanding not to shut down the
> desktop machine during the backup window is all you need. Another
> approach to consider is to have each desktop user in your
> organization store his or her files on a NAS, then back up the NAS via
NDMP.

We use Windows Group Policies to redirect user desktop and home folders to
our SAN, and we then backup the SAN (altho not via NDMP). Using GPs, the
users can be made to not even see the local drives, much less have access
to them. So there's no local storage to worry about, and we don't even
backup user desktop machines at all.

Of course, not everyone can implement such procedures.

> On Feb 25, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Tony Bergenza <tony.bergenza AT GMAIL DOT COM>
>  wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > Can we take the  backup by NW 8 of a DESKTOP  with OS window 7
professional
> > and having static IP address?
> >
> > Which module(agent) of the NW should be installed on the Desktop
Machine.?