Networker

Re: [Networker] Is it possible to have Solaris local zone as a NW SN?

2013-02-05 12:06:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Is it possible to have Solaris local zone as a NW SN?
From: Aaron Sakowski <dirtrin AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 12:06:12 -0500
With respect to Solaris zones, I recall that the physical hardware (disks
and SAN connections, etc...) are actually controlled by the Global Zone.
 My understanding is that if you created a DSN in a local zone expecting
load balancing that way, it would take some planning to verify that you are
actually load balancing the hardware at the Global Zone level.

As for creating multiple AFTDs for the deduplicated backups, this may help
with balancing the sizes of the indexes (NetWorker client indexes, Avamar
hash pointers) which reduces the risk of disaster if the AFTD becomes
corrupt.  This will also help with the rebuild time during a DR event.
 However, the amount of data sent to the NetWorker Server and Storage Nodes
during a NetWorker/Avamar deduplication backup is minimal, typically KB or
MB for each save set.  The majority of data will be sent to the Avamar Data
Store.  The Avamar Data Store is also where the global deduplication
occurs, not the NetWorker server.