Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC Networker with Avamar

2013-01-29 13:38:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC Networker with Avamar
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:37:43 +0000
Avamar is faster than DD for backups. We have a Cellera NAS that is currently
holding 18TB worth of data and Avamar backs it up via an NDMP Accelerator Node
anywhere from 6-9 hours, which is well under our backup window, whereas we
could never meet that window if we used NetWorker and DD to back it up.

The converse also seems to be true where DD is faster for restores than Avamar,
so you pick your poison.

I also find the  NetWorker Console Manager more challenging to use than
Avamar's administration GUI to quickly identify failed backups. The Avamar
admin GUI, has an activities window where I can easily see at a glance exactly
which servers backed up (when they backed up and their duration) and quickly
identify any backup failures. On NetWorker, you have to go through the NMC
monitor and drill into any groups that failed to find out which clients within
them failed and answering a simple question from a SA here is much easier with
Avamar's admin GUI than we NetWorker DD. That question is "What time was my
server backed up and how long did the backup run?"