Networker

[Networker] Tape read problem

2013-01-24 12:01:21
Subject: [Networker] Tape read problem
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:51:41 -0500
We're still trying to set up our new environment and now have a new problem.

Background info:

*         NW server and storage node are RHEL 6

*         Both are running NW v7.6.4.4

*         Tape library is VTL emulating a spectra library with LTO3 tapes

*         All devices are using udev rules for persistent naming (thanks for
all the help there!!!!)

I've defined the library using jbconfig because NW is reporting that it doesn't
have a serial number - despite displaying one in the NMC.

I can move tapes fine.  Based on what I see via the VTL gui and with mtx
commands, the tape appear to be where they should be.

BUT, whenever I try to label a tape, it fails.  Here's what's in the daemon.log:

nsrd [Jukebox `vtl', operation 11]. Initiated operation `nsrjb -v -L -b TestVTL
-f /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 -S 1'.
nsrmmgd Loading volume `-' from slot `1' into device `/dev/tape/by-id/vtl100'.
nsrd /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 Verify label operation in progress
nsrmmd Tape device /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 is empty
nsrd media warning: /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 reading: read open error: command
completed successfully (drive status is There is not a tape in the drive)
nsrd /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 verify label operation failed: read open error:
command completed successfully (drive status is There is not a tape in the
drive)
nsrd [Jukebox `vtl', operation # 11]. Error reading volume label: read open
error: command completed successfully (drive status is There is not a tape in
the drive)
nsrd /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 Eject operation in progress
nsrmmd Tape device /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 is empty
nsrd /dev/tape/by-id/vtl100 eject operation failed: read open error: command
completed successfully (drive status is There is not a tape in the drive)
nsrmmgd Unloading volume `-' from device `/dev/tape/by-id/vtl100' to slot 1.
nsrd [Jukebox `vtl', operation # 11]. Error reading volume label: read open
error: command completed successfully (drive status is There is not a tape in
the drive)
nsrd [Jukebox `vtl', operation # 11]. Finished with status: failed

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Teresa

Teresa Biehler
Information and Technology Services
Rochester Institute of Technology
teresa.biehler AT rit DOT edu<mailto:teresa.biehler AT rit DOT edu>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is
intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
destroy any copies of this information.