Networker

Re: [Networker] List alive ?

2013-01-21 09:51:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] List alive ?
From: Bill Wilkie <billwilkie AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:51:24 +0000
Several years ago, I worked for a company that did Health Checks on backup
products from Backup Exec, Legato  Networker and Tivoli Storage Manager.  Our
Networker person had just left the company and although I was familiar with the
product I didn't consider myself an expert by any means but was thrust into
consulting on the product. Since I was thrust into it, I asked for training and
attended the Networker Certification course at Cambridge systems(an Excellent
Class), and after learning the product, I realized what a great product it
truly is. On my consulting gigs, however I found that in one instance, the
backup administrator was a housewife that came in for a few hours a day and
though she was competent, she did not understand back ups, and soon found
herself in trouble. I found similar situations at many other companies where
people were thrust into the role with little or no understanding and as a
result, many people were very unsatisfied with the product and were looking to
get rid of it. Unfortunately, most of the criticism was unjustified, because if
you had a knowledgable admin, it would have been just fine. But this is a VERY
robust product with a lot of goodies in it, but you must understand it. As far
as getting rid of the product, you must understand that doing so is not that
easy as well, because many of the files you have created must be held for many
years, and in order to be able to restore the product, you must also maintain a
license for it, so the better choice in my opinion would be to learn it.  After
I learned it I created an analysis of the backup databases using Excel macros
so I can get a complete picure of what is out there and where the problems are.
But the bottom line is you must understand it and this is a pilot's airplane.
If you don't really learn it you can get burned. Bill Wilkie> Date: Mon, 21 Jan
2013 14:23:43 +0000