Networker

Re: [Networker] Older NW clients with v7.6.4.3 server

2012-11-27 16:42:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Older NW clients with v7.6.4.3 server
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:41:47 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Older NW clients with v7.6.4.3 server, Teresa...:

We're getting ready to upgrade our NetWorker server to v7.6.4.3.  We
have some servers running older versions of the client software - mostly
v7.2.2.  Has anyone run this mix?  Did you have problems?  I'm just
wondering if we will need to upgrade a bunch of clients in order to do
the server upgrade successfully.

We've run close to this config, but not really by choice.

7.2.x clients don't support "nsrauth", they only support "oldauth".  Your
NetWorker server is likely configured to prefer nsrauth, but allow
oldauth.  If that's the case, the 7.2.x clients will just work.

It's not well known, but Preston actually pointed out on the list a few
years ago that it's possible to configure your NetWorker server to use
oldauth on a per-system basis.  We've done that for our remaining NetWare
clients, which are based on the 7.2.x codebase.

To see how your server is configured, you actually need to query the
nsrexec on your NetWorker server with nsradmin, like this:

  echo 'print type: NSRLA' \
        | nsradmin -s your_server_name_here -p nsrexec -i -

Look at what's listed for "auth methods".  If you see

        "0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/oldauth"

then your server will prefer nsrauth but accept oldauth for all clients.

We're not running NetWorker 8.x here yet, but it's my understanding that
"oldauth" is no longer supported by 8.x servers, so your clients earlier
that 7.3.x will not work.

Tim
edu