Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.6.3 and SQL DB Issues

2012-11-14 11:46:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.6.3 and SQL DB Issues
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:46:08 -0500
> Hi Michael this post was meant to be FYI only and not a
> recommendation. EMC has confirmed that there is a bug when using the
> Networker SQL Module in conjunction with any of the following
> Networker clients 7.6.2 to 7.6.4 to backup an SQL server.

OK, that is what I use (NW Client 7.6.2). I also use the NW SQL Module
(v5.22). And a NW Server 7.6.2.

> The networker client (7.6.2 to 4) ignores the flag to skip over the .MDF
> as it is already being backed up by the SQL Module.

I have an explicit directive that says

+skip: *.MD *.LDF
+skip: *.NDF

That I use with any filesystem backup, SQL Server or not.

But that's not what you're talking about, right?

> So not only was the SQL module backing up the DB's but the client
filesystem saveset
> was also backing up the .MDF files as well because it ignored the
> "Skip" flag set by the SQL Module. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm still not really understanding how the SQL Module sets a "Skip" flag,
unless you mean clearing the archive bit on the file itself. The archive
bit is only examined during an incremental or differential backup.

So you're saying that the NW Client 7.6.2 thru 7.6.4 is not properly
examing (or honoring) the archive bit on SQL MDF files, when doing
incremental or differential backups? If so: does that also apply to FULL
backups? It shouldn't, as a FULL backup gets everything, regardless of
archive bit setting.

And is it only on SQL MDF files? (by which I mean, does anyone know if the
same applies to like Oracle backups, or Exchange backups? They don't
affect me, since I don't use them, but others do ....)