Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.6.3 and SQL DB Issues

2012-11-14 09:42:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.6.3 and SQL DB Issues
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:33:40 -0500
> db's. With this new client the SQL DB files were being treated as if
> they were flatfiles

What does this mean? "as if they were flatfiles"

> and were getting backed as a such which
> increased the amount of time and space to backup. I opened up a
> ticket with EMC and they confirmed that Networker 7.6.2 to 7.6.4
> have a bug which is causing the issue and is currently being looked
> into. In the mean time they offered 3 options. Use 7.6.1, use
> directives to exclude the SQL DB files

We have always excluded SQL DBs and logs(the .MDF and .LDF file) from a
filesystem backup, because those files are held open by the SQL process.
So the only way to get a valid backup of a SQL MDF file is to either use
the special SQL Module (which requires a separate license), or have the
SQL server create flat file copies of the MDFs (a .BAK file, usually), and
you backup that file, instead - this does not require an extra license.

I'm on NW 7.6.2, but we've done the above method for over 5 years, with no
issues. My backups don't fail, and my recovers of databases (either as a
flat file .BAK, or a .MDF using the SQL Module) work.

What are you recommending to do that is different from the procedure I
describe above? What part am I misunderstanding?