Networker

Re: [Networker] Is it possible to mix LTO-4 and LTO-5 drives ?

2012-11-08 14:34:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Is it possible to mix LTO-4 and LTO-5 drives ?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:33:23 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Is it possible to mix LTO-4 and LTO-5 drives...:

 With LTO drives you should be able to read and write the previous
 generation and read two generations. That means that an LTO-6 drive
 should read and write LTO-5 media and read LTO-4 media.

Thanks Yaron for correcting my screw-up!  I think I may have been thinking
of a different tape technology when I said one generation.  You're correct
that LTO4 media should be readable (but not writable) in an LTO6 drive.

 As for LTO-6 upgrade, I really think that it is too soon to do. They
 are still very expensive.

Totally agreed.  If money is no object then LTO6 looks nice, but it's
brand new and very expensive right now.

Tim
edu