Networker

[Networker] n00b needs some help...

2012-11-02 11:23:58
Subject: [Networker] n00b needs some help...
From: rustyfingers <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 07:22:50 -0700
Morning,
First off please forgive my terminology if it seems out of wack.
I've taken over the new responsibility of handling backups for our company and
while I'm up to the challenge, it is quite daunting and is pushing this old guy
to his limits of his knowledge so I'm looking to you folks for a bit of help.
Thanks in advance...

We have servers that are attached to LUNS presented by our 960.  I need to
backup one of the 'mapped' drives but their is so much data on the drive that
the backup never completes.  I'm currently just backing up the 'N:' drive using
networker but I'm wondering if there is a way to backup the LUN directly to the
DataDomain (DD) device without having to go through the server.  Our CIFS are
backed up using NDMP and can smoke through the data at about 3 to 4 times the
speed of backing up a drive letter so I'm wondering if the same thing is
possible by backing up a LUN directly across the SAN to the DD.  Our Recover
Point appliance is doing replication of some of our systems but we are waiting
on a new guy to add some more replications.  In the mean time, I need to get
this backed up in case of a catastrophic failure.

TIA,
Rusty