Networker

Re: [Networker] Antivirus exclusions or settings?

2012-10-22 10:30:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Antivirus exclusions or settings?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:24:32 -0400
> Your speed problem is on the clients.  Granted AV scanning on the
> server could impact database performance, but what it sounds like
> your running into is issues with on access scanning of the files, on
> the client.

I agree. The weird thing - if I am running a backup job, and I have 2
other cloning jobs running - one manual clone, one a clone from a
scheduled cloning job - I will have horrible speeds while all 3 are
running. "Horrible" = 10MB and less.

If I stop the backup job (that is writing directly to tape), my cloning
speeds jump to 20-30MB each..

As soon as the scheduled cloning job ends, the speed on the manual cloning
job jumps to approx 50MB.

That says to me that it can't just be a problem on the clients, because if
it was, stopping jobs running wouldn't increase the speed of the remaining
jobs, as the clients of the remaining jobs wouldn't know, or care, that
the backup job of another client ended. That should have no effect on the
speed of a still running job. But it does.

So it has to be something server-related, as well.

> You're product is running a virus scan of every file being backed up
> before it's backed up.  This is, as your seeing having a big impact
> on backups.  You can test this by running a backup of the client
> with AV on, then stop the service and disable it and rerun the
> backup.  You will likely see a pretty dramatic difference.

Stopping it on the server doesn't provide a big boost, I know that. I have
not been able to stop it on the clients.

> The enterprise product will let you exclude files opened by certain
> applications, in your case you would exclude files being accessed by
> save.exe.
> Without this option, there are not a lot of you can do.

I already have all Networker binaries on the exclusion lists, both on the
server, and on the client.

Upgrading involves a lot of steps, because I have to add the Enterprise
version to the administrative server (which we've never done), and then
push the new Enterprise version to selected clients. Which will require a
reboot of the clients, which means scheduled downtime, etc. Oh, we're
going to do it, it will just take a while for us to learn how to do it;
test it; schedule the upgrade; test it.

Thanks