Networker

Re: [Networker] discrepancy in sizes reported

2012-09-26 08:23:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] discrepancy in sizes reported
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:13:56 -0400
On 9/25/12 6:53 AM, Frank Swasey wrote:
> Mat,
>
> The file system is a disk full of images from medical testing equipment.  I
> was performing a
> full backup of this disk.  Due to a rearrangement of servers, it was the
> first full backup of
> this disk.
>
> <SNIP>

> Which in all cases adds up to just over 2 TB.
>
> So, I'll report to EMC that their savegrp report is wrong.
>
> Thanks for sticking with me on this.

EMC tells me this is a known issue with save sets that cross the 2TB boundary.
It has
something to do with the fact that my NetWorker server started its life in 1995
on a 32 bit
architecture and the media database has been brought forward with every
upgrade/system
replacement.  This is covered by NW00110493 (I assume that is a problem report)
and RFE
NW113348.  Engineering has not been able to determine a way to solve this
problem yet.  I
suspect the eventual fix will be some command that will read in the existing
media database and
translate it from 32-bit to 64-bit (because it is reported that new installs do
not experience
this problem).  To be clear, I specifically asked and was told that this is a
problem that is
caused on the server not on the client.

I further assume that if I were willing to wipe my setup and build out a new
one (possibly
running scanner on my 7 AFTD's and 10,000 tapes) that I would eradicate this
issue.  I'm (for
health and sanity reasons) not willing to do that, at least not yet ;-)

-Frank