Networker

Re: [Networker] discrepancy in sizes reported

2012-09-24 14:04:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] discrepancy in sizes reported
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:04:07 -0400
On 9/24/12 1:53 PM, bingo wrote:
> Frank,
>
> at least it was not my intention to pick on procedures. So far i just have
> not seen somebody using nsradmin to get status information about active save
> streams.
> Since nsrwatch is also available for windows, I would most likely prefer this
> utility. But if one is used to something he will probably use it forever.

I use nsradmin because I can run it from cron at intervals on my Linux server
and have it mail
me what is actively going on in the NetWorker environment.  I don't know of a
way to take a
snapshot from cron of what is actively being done with either nsrwatch (which
up until 7.6 was
horrendous in my environment because of the number of devices involved, ever
tried to set up a
terminal window that had 300 lines and still read it on a display that was
1440x900?) or mminfo.

> I do not see any reason why NW (uasm) would change the size of a files - it
> takes what the OS delivers.
> So i still think it is worth to compare the report utilities, i.e. your
> nsradmin method and the nsrwatch output. This might already point to the
> issue.
> However, the reason  could be as easy as a programmer's typo. Also, do not
> forget that the number 2040 is pretty close to one of these 'magic' numbers
> (2000 or 2048) where a lot of programs 'usually' had limitations.

Thank you.  I've certainly got more digging to do.