Networker

Re: [Networker] discrepancy in sizes reported

2012-09-24 12:29:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] discrepancy in sizes reported
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:29:08 -0400
On 2012-09-24 11:44, Frank Swasey wrote:
On 9/24/12 10:56 AM, Bill Wilkie wrote:
Frank: Could it be that one statistic is reflecting the size after some form of
data compression whereas the other reflects the true size? Just a thought. Bill
I see no evidence in the save group report that any nsr.dir files were found
and processed for
this save set, so I believe the only compression involved is the hardware
compression taking
place in the LTO4 tape drives - which NetWorker is not able to see and report
on.

So, I don't think compression is playing any role in this issue.
Several questions: Is this a full or an incremental? If it's an incremental, are you sure all the affected files, whose total size should add up to what you'd expect, have in fact had their mtimes updated since the last backup? What does the previous media database entry report for the save set? Or maybe this is the first time you've tried to run a back up against it?

I would check server side directives and client side directives. Is it possible that a bunch of data was previously being skipped, someone renamed a directory, and the affected data hasn't had its mtimes updates since the directive was last in use? Is the 'backup renamed directories' option checked?

Next, how about targeting a smaller subset of the data, as a test, like maybe just a few hundred MB, and see what a savegrp estimate reports for a full, maybe change the mtimes for everything under that test directory and then see what an incremental reports, before even running the backup.

Also, is indexing enabled for the pool? If so, what does nsrinfo report?

George
Thanks,
   Frank

--