Networker

[Networker] Index size confusion

2012-09-17 12:47:46
Subject: [Networker] Index size confusion
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:47:18 -0400
Hi,

I'm really confused here, and I'm hoping someone can please clear up my confusion.

I hunted around in the documentation but could only find information regarding level 9 backups for indexes, never incrementals, but nothing about numercs.

When an incremental is run on a client (assuming the 'No save index' option is not enabled for the group) then NW performs a level 9 of the index last, following completion of the backup of the client data. This should be capturing all the changes in the client index since the last full of the index. As a result, the size of the index backup should continue to increase (or possibly remain the same as far as what mminfo reports) until the next full, but it should not decrease. This is the behavior that I have always observed.

However -- and here's where I'm confused -- I would have anticipated, therefore, that if you ran a numeric (let's say a level 5) then any subsequent level 9 backups of the index should only capture the changes in the index since the last lower numbered backup, which in this case is a level 5. But this does *not* seem to be what's happening based on the reported size of the index backups. Instead, it appears that subsequent level 9 backups are capturing all changes since the previous full; they're not just going back to the previous numeric. They're either remaining at the same size or they're increasing in size as if the 5 was never run.

1. I understand that index backups are treated differently than regular data in that incrementals are never run on indexes, but is it in fact the case that a level 9 on an index always goes all the way back to the full even if there are intermediate numerics

2. In other words, it doesn't matter what level is run on an index, it's always going to go all the way back to the previous full?

If so, then this is not the case with regular data, right? With regular data, if a level 9 follows a level 5 then it would not grab everything that's changed since the previous full. It should only grab what's changed since the 5, right? Or if several 5s were run in a row then each would go all the way back to the full since the full is that last lower numbered backup (level 0), right?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair