Networker

[Networker] Thoughts on enterprise redundancy in the networker realm

2012-09-13 15:10:43
Subject: [Networker] Thoughts on enterprise redundancy in the networker realm
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ORNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:00:29 -0400
Hello networker-ites,

I've been on networker hiatus since November and I'm not quite back in the
saddle.  I have a project on the drawing board that will be starting with 500
TB and heading up to the PB range over the next few years.  The tape library is
a SpectraLogic T950, already on hand and expected to be expanded.  Networker is
the defacto backup software.  These are the only items that are firm.  I've
been asked about redundancy for the backup server, aka failover.  Other than
configuring the server to have redundant components, I've never considered a
server failover scenario before.  The concern is not for disaster/recovery.
It's only for always being able to backup and/or recover data with no
significant down time.  So, has anyone had anything like this in a cluster
and/or load balancer?  I've only worked with single server setups, not even an
additional storage node.  If there is a good reading source that is recommended
I'd appreciate that too.

Patti Clark
UNIX/Linux Administrator
Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory