Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 8.0.0.x

2012-09-07 13:25:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 8.0.0.x
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:25:07 -0400
On 9/7/12 11:55 AM, Mark Wiertalla wrote:
> NetWorker uses a default setting of /user/bin/logger (instead of a
> dynamically querying for the location of .../logger) and several Linux
> distros appear to use /bin/logger. Engineering tells me that the
> documentation advises the user to update it to point at /usr/bin if that is
> how their Linux distro is set up. If you can't find this reference let me
> know and I'll press engineering for more clarification.

I'll go look again, but I didn't find it in the NW 8 manuals I was skimming
through yesterday,
so a pointer to which fine manual to look in would be appreciated.

> Since the NetWorker default is /usr/bin/logger, then we can guess that the
> default setting had been manually updated to point to /bin/logger (possibly
> because of an older version of RHEL?). Since NetWorker does not touch
> pre-existing resources on upgrade, the default setting was retained, and now
> it doesn’t work with RHEL 6.
>
> Engineering has offered to change the default setting to /bin. I see this
> approach as ensuring that a different set of users get impacted. I’m
> opening an RFE to enhance NetWorker to use a dynamic query method (if
> possible) instead of using a static default setting.

I believe Engineering has it backward. I just wiped out the install on my test
system and
re-installed the server code (that is I uninstalled NetWorker and deleted the
/nsr directory,
then installed networker again) - and the notification rule is set to use
/bin/logger for those
three rules. Regardless, please do not just change the static value used, which
will only serve
to break it for folks where it would otherwise work. The dynamic method would
be far better
(Please figure it out at install time and set the command in the notification
rule properly. Do
not just write some shell script wrapper).

> Second, in 8.0 we have removed our modification of the syslog configuration
> which is why the logger output goes to daemon.raw instead of the system log
> which is /var/log/messages. NetWorker was being a bad program by modifying
> the values for some of the syslog levels, and that has been corrected in 8.0.

YAY! That will make my cf-engine guys very happy!

> Thanks for your post and my apologies for the inconvenience that may has
> caused you.

Mark - it was not big inconvenience for me, I was practicing with it on my test
systems.

-Frank