Networker

[Networker] Q about restoring a "partitioned" MS SQL DB

2012-08-09 11:18:56
Subject: [Networker] Q about restoring a "partitioned" MS SQL DB
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 11:03:00 -0400
Bear with me, as I'm not sure I fully understand my own situation, which
makes asking for advice about it ... more interesting. :-)

We use Websense to filter employee access to the Internet. It saves it's
logs in a MS SQL database, which I dutifully backup using the NW MS SQL
Module. All well and good. Now I have a request to restore an older copy
of this database. I've done such restores before, but this database is
apparently a "partitioned" database, meaning that MS SQL will
automatically create a new database once it reaches a certain size.

So, I have "wslogdb70", for example. And also "wslogdb70_1",
"wslogdb70_2", etc. All apparently created by MS SQL once the DB reaches a
certain size.

My question: do I need to recover all 3 files, if I (well, my DBAs) need
to do a search? My boss seems to think so. He says that the database is
actually spread across those 3 files, and so all 3 must be recovered..
Now, I am recovering a copy of the database, of course, and putting it in
a different folder. I take it I will need to do 3 recovers, one for each
file? Or will the NW SQL Module be smart enough to realize that all 3
files constitute one database, and recover all 3 at once?

Luckily, all 3 databases are one the same backup tape.

So: do I need to do 3 recoveries, or just one recovery of "wslogdb70" and
the NW SQL Module will automatically bring "_2" and "_3" along with it,
since those other 2 files also constitute part of the makeup of
"wslogdb70"?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM