Networker

[Networker] Effect on incremental if clone remains but original removed?

2012-08-07 12:33:41
Subject: [Networker] Effect on incremental if clone remains but original removed?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:28:04 -0400
Hi,

Please excuse the long winded question, but I want to be clear on what I'm asking.

Question here about whether or not a clone save set that remains in the media database will affect a subsequent incremental backup if the original counterpart save set is removed?

My understanding is that NW uses the last valid media database entry for the given save set to determine the timestamp to base the next incremental for that same save set, assuming, of course, that the database entry for the previous one is valid (e.g. not aborted). The indexes are not used to determine what to back up, only for recovery when doing browsable recovers. Moreover, indexing is turned off on clone pools. But I'm unclear on how clone entries affect subsequent incrementals in cases where the original counterpart has been removed.

Let's suppose you run an incremental (incremental 1) to an indexed pool (pool=A), cloning is enabled (clone pool=A_clone). The next day, you run a second incremental (incremental 2) but this time to a non-indexed pool (pool=B). You then clone that second incremental, but to a different clone pool (clone pool=B_clone). You then remove the media database and index entries for that second incremental as:

nsrmm -d -S ssid/cloneid_from_original

but you keep the clone entry (from clone pool B_clone); it stays in the media database.

On the third day, you run a third incremental (incremental 3) but this time back to the original pool (pool=A). That's automatically cloned (clone pool=A_clone). If that's successful you then remove the clone entry from the second incremental (incremental 2).

QUESTION: Will NW base the third incremental on what's changed since incremental 1? I would think that it wouldn't have any choice given that you removed the media database entry from the second incremental, right? In other words, the third incremental should back up exactly what it would have done if you had never taken that second incremental, but there is a concern here as noted below.

CONCERN: The problem here, though, is that in this case you've not removed the clone entry (clone pool=B_clone) from that second incremental before taking the third, so will NW still see that ssid (clone) entry and base the third incremental on the timestamp for that remaining clone entry (clone pool=B_clone), or will it instead base it on the first incremental since the original for the second incremental was removed, never mind the fact that its clone entry still exists?

BTW: This question comes up because we want to run a test to see how much faster a given save set can be backed up with indexing turned off, but we don't want to actually turn it off on that pool since we have a lot of other clients/save sets that write their data to that same pool wherein we do desire index entries. So our plan is to create a test pool with indexing turned off, and a corresponding test clone pool, and then switch the affected client' s NSR resource group to use the test pool instead, then run an incremental, analyze the results/speed, remove that incremental save set entry and then switch the resource back to using the original pool, continuing (we hope) where we previously left off before we ran the test.

Clearly, this would work if we either didn't make a test clone or we removed both the test clone entry and its original counterpart before taking the third incremental, but will it still work if we make that clone and we don't first remove it before the third incremental is run? The reason for keeping the clone copy from the second (test) incremental is just to have something to fall back to in case the third (normal) incremental failed, and we needed to recover something before we could get another good back up. The test pools could then be recycled.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair