Networker

Re: [Networker] Create list of all Mailboxes for an Exchange Server ?

2012-06-07 11:08:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Create list of all Mailboxes for an Exchange Server ?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 11:04:20 -0400
> We have two Exchange servers that we do brick level mailbox backups on
> over the weekends.

Brick level backups used to be a bad idea for Exchange, back when I was
doing Exchange backups using BackupExec in 2007. Maybe it's different now
..

> We use an input file for the list of mailboxes to be
> backed up. Our mail admin keeps moving mailboxes back and forth between
> the servers, I have to update the input file list every time mailboxes
> are moved... Is there an easy way to generate a text file list of all
> the mailboxes on the exchange server that I can use for input for the
> brick level mailbox weekend backups ?? I only know of one way and that's
> to run a manual backup of all the mailboxes and then strip them out from
> the log file, but it takes over 15 hours for the larger of the two
> servers, so that's simply not practical...

Powershell script to list all the mailboxes? I don't personally know how,
but I've seen similar sorts of scripts on my Google News Alert that I have
on Powershell articles from the web.

I'm on a good Windows Admin mailing list; you could try joining it and
asking. I know at least a couple of the frequent posters are both Exhange
MVPs and scripting experts. This is the one hosted from Sunbelt Software.