Networker

Re: [Networker] Executing in parallel or sequentially?

2012-05-22 07:23:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Executing in parallel or sequentially?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 07:18:04 -0400
> Assuming that the parallelism values are high enough, NW should do
> parallel packups.
> However, it might be that the single save set may be started as the last
one.

So you are saying that a single group, with 2 different client entries for
the same client, will execute all 10 folder backups simultaneously? (or
more or less simultaneously - the point being that the last saveset will
not wait until all other 9 savesets are finished, before starting?

> There is no real need to use a second group unless you want to
> 'group' and control the sequence anong these streams a little bit by
> using slightly different start times. But again - unless these
> clients are alone in a group, you will not be able to predict when
> they will start their backups.

It's not the start time I am worried about, necessarily, but the finishing
time of all 10. :-) We have maintenance to do this weekend, and we can't
do it until all 10 savesets are finished (because part of our maintenance
needs to be a restore of these 10 savesets to a new disk. I can't have the
old disk and new disk online at the same time, else I would just copy
between them. So I need to backup in FULL; configure the new disks; do a
restore).

Can a restore be done in parallel? What (well, my boss) will do is use the
GUI NWRECOVER, and choose all 10 folders to do the recover. If I can speed
that up any, that would be great.