Networker

Re: [Networker] Wish List for Networker v8.0

2012-04-27 14:06:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Wish List for Networker v8.0
From: dave2 AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:05:49 -0400
How about updating the autochanger configuration gui…while its better than
nsrjb, it is graphically awkward and functionally lacking.

</RANT_ON>

By graphically awkward, the side to side nature means that I usually can't
fit it on one screen, and have to scroll back and forth, resizing it. and
how about removing the red flag/comment above the buttons—if they went away
when I rescanned, I would understand, but it just confuses some folks.

(I had a customer say recently, "I wouldn't show this to someone looking to
buy the software, how awful this wizard is. When are they coming out with a
non-beta version of it?")

By functionally lacking, I more often than not have to do reconfigurations
in multiple steps, or run into "the gui just doesn't work" situations.
Specific examples of recently annoyances:

--The GUI doesn't understand when a device is changing from one name to
another; I have to remove in one step, then go back in and add the device.
The logic in the wizard seems really basic here.

--The GUI sometimes simply fails to find devices, even when they are seen
in the NetWorker devices list as unconfigured devices. I've had to use
jbedit a lot recently to add devices that the GUI should show.

--The GUI sometimes fails to show devices for a storage node. I added one
storage node's devices to one changer, and the wizard simply wouldn't show
that storage node in the list for the other changer. (This was for a Data
Domain VTL)

--The device numbers the GUI shows doesn't appear to have much to do with
actual element addresses. I've found twice in two weeks that the device
shows as #1 wasn't the first element. So either the wizard did something
wrong, or its displaying it wrong graphically.  In any case, when we have
unallocated devices, the numbers don't show a gap where I would expect one.

I'm not saying that I don't like the autochanger reconfiguration wizard—I'm
just saying that it’s a nice .99 version, and it would be nice to get a 1.5
version.

</RANT_OFF>

Dave Gold

Sr. Technical Consultant