Networker

Re: [Networker] Wish List for Networker v8.0

2012-04-27 01:47:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Wish List for Networker v8.0
From: Tim Kimball <Tim.Kimball AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 05:47:27 +0000
Eddie, that sounds like what NetBackup does (at least the one here is setup
like that).  Tapes are aggregated by retention level, even within the same
pool.  So the folks who setup the environment (that I now maintain) sent
everything to their version of 'Default,' and it all just works.

It *can* be done in Networker - I've done it - but not without dedicating pools
to each retention and doing a ton of config work.

Some of these I've mentioned before on visits to the User Group meeting.

A) Move client encryption to a client-level setting, like NetBackup (also
compress, if possible).  Having it in within the Directives setting makes it
impossible to compress and encrypt client-side at the same time.

B) Speaking of directives - for mailasm, can we have an incremental (in a
sendmail-type mailbox) update *just* the changes to that mailbox text file,
instead of backing up the whole thing again?

C) Merge From AlphaStor:

-> Full multi-media support (i.e. I can have multiple media types in a
non-partitioned library, and Networker will only grab the correct tape types
for the correct drive types).  This should also be brought up-to-date to deal
with multi-generation issues, or allow us to modify the assignments (which was
possible in older AS if you knew how to modify the DB).

-> Rotation Policy tracking.  This is not as useful in our own environment
anymore (scripted the report and gave our Ops access to remove/add tapes in
7.4), but I heard that newer versions of AS could interface with Iron
Mountain's tape tracker (which would still be useful).

There is one remaining 'core' feature of AlphaStor - library sharing (including
across datazones, and theoretically for products other than Networker).  I'm
not sure how important this is anymore, with partitioning built-in to most
libraries these days.  Also, the feature gave you 'all drives DDS' as a free
extra, so doubtful it would be included anyway.  ;-)

BTW, I'd be happy with allowing AS a 'free extra' under Capacity Licensing.

--TSK
Tim Kimball
http://sungak.net