Networker

Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices

2012-04-26 10:54:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Spanning savesets across multiple AFTD devices
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:54:03 -0400
> On 26/04/12 15:20, bingo wrote:
> > I spoke with EMC Tech Support. I explained that I manually remove
savesets
> > that have been cloned, after a certain number of days (using "nsrmm -d
> > -S"), and then reclaim storage using "nsrstage -C -V".

> already been deleted?
> > AFAIR if you manually delete a save set it is deleted (space is
> released) right away.
> > Just take a few minutes and test it on a new device.
> >

> Makes perfect sense to me. You don't want to stage immediately because
> you want to keep it on disk for as long as possible, but you do want to
> get the data off to tape as soon as possible. You then clear space using
> nsrmm -d but only when that space is needed.

Exactly what we do. The savesets are cloned to tape immediately, then we
keep those savesets around on disk for anywhere from 2 days to a week,
depending on how big the savesets are, how big the disk space is, and how
important it is to do immediate recovers of (recent) savesets. The tapes
get sent offsite the next day.

> I wrote a suite of scripts to automate this a few years ago. They're
> probably still floating around on the net somewhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing those. :-) My scripts are Windows based, but the
logic is probably the same. I pipe a mminfo on savesets of a specific age,
that have been cloned (copies = 3; 2 on disk, 1 on tape). I use that as
the basis to delete (nsrm -d). Then reclaim disk space with "nsrstage -C
-V".