Networker

Re: [Networker] DFS backup questions

2012-04-23 14:58:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] DFS backup questions
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:58:04 -0400
> Michael,
> Your plan should include backing up individual servers rather then
> the DFS links themselves,

As I said, we already do backup the individual servers (which is where the
DFS targets are also located). But those backups (saveset ALL) will not
backup the DFS namespace folder.

Specifically: in my test of saveset ALL, the only thing that didn't get
backed up at Remote-1 was the DFS namespace folder. The DFS target folder
(also on Remote-1) was easily backed up by ALL.

* Remote-1:C:\ 69435:save: DFS Junction/Mountpoint detected:
files/directories under `C:\DFSRoots\Public\' will not be backed up. To
back up a DFS Junction/Mountpoint, specify the DFS Junction/Mountpoint as
the saveset value

And there can be files under "C:\DFSRoots\Public", as well as mounted
targets (I am told). So the only way to backup those files is with a
separate job, that specifies the DFS Junction/Mountpoint, as the message
says (which agrees with the 7.6.2 documentation).

> as long as all servers on your domain are
> backed up, including any nas targets, you should not have to worry
> or backup DFS links, backing up DFS links may be a bad idea any way
> , since you may not get reliable backup performance and\or get
> multiple backups running due to DFS links being present on more then
> one server you backup.

The documentation states that DFS links are *not* followed, so there
should never be multiple backups of the same data (target servers/folders)
happening. The DFS namespace only job would run at like 8PM, and the ALL
job would run at 8:30. Since the 8PM job wouldn't follow the DFS links,
none of the target folders would be backed up by that job. Only the 8:30
ALL job would get the DFS target folders.

> Just look to test restore one of the DC and you will see whats
beingbacked up.

Doing a test restore of a DC is not something done lightly. :-) Even in an
isolated test environment ...