Networker

Re: [Networker] Can a numeric backup be the oldest browsable instance?

2012-04-19 16:58:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can a numeric backup be the oldest browsable instance?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:58:00 -0400
On 2012-04-19 16:17, bingo wrote:
I think you have a typo in your statement:

"In other words, the preceding incrementals are 'cr' and the previous full is also
'cr'?"
     should obviously read:
"In other words, the preceding incrementals are 'cb' and the previous full is
'cr'?"  - correct?
No typo. You have, say, a level 5 of /home, and it's listed with sumflags of 'cb', but everything before that (all incrementals), going back to the previous full are 'cr', and you'd expect that that full would be 'cb' since recovering from the level 5 should require it (assuming that the level 5 didn't capture everything, and nfiles suggests that it didn't even come close), but that full is instead 'cr'. I could see that the incrementals would be 'cr' since the 5 makes those unnecessary but seems odd that the full would also be 'cr'.

Of course, all the instances of /home that are within the browse policy (one month) are 'cb', 'vF' which is to be expected, but you have:

/home 2012-02-21 cr vrF full
/home 2012-02-22 cr vrF incr
/home 2012-03-13 cr vrF incr
/home 2012-03-14 cr vrF incr
/home 2012-03-15 cb vF 5
/home 2012-03-16 cb vF incr
/home 2012-03-17 cb vF incr
/home 2012-04-14 cb vF incr
/home 2012-04-15 cb vF 5
/home 2012-04-16 cb vF incr
/home 2012-04-17 cb vF incr
/home 2012-04-18 cb vF incr

Everything before 2012-03-15 is 'cr', 'vrF' including the full???

Yes, this is in fact possible. No idea why NW should do it on its own but in
general, the status of each save set exists individually, of course.
You can verify that yourself: just delete the file index of a browseable full with
"nsrmm -dP -S ssid_full" and check the SS status.
Yes, I follow that logic. I assume that the sumflags would change to 'cr' if it was 'cb' before, and the ssflags would change to 'vrF' if it was 'vF' before. Just seems odd that NW would take any action on its own.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or
unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -