Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages

2012-04-03 14:43:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:43:01 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages,...:

Why ?
For the same reason you have to explicitly list any NFS mounted
filesystem on a Unix/Linux client if you want NW to back them up, it's
not considered a 'local' filesystem by NW, so it does not see it as
something that needs to be backed up unless YOU put it in the list of
save-sets you want backed up...

At the risk of sounding like a two year old with a continuous stream of
"why?", *why* isn't it considered a local volume?

I fully understand NFS between two systems; NetWorker's "All" doesn't
back up the volume on the client system because it's not a local volume.
The client is getting that volume from some other system.  You can force
NetWorker to back it up on the client if you specify it explicitly.

In our case, though, these DFS Junctions are completely local to the box.
It's not the case that "wserv1.ndsu.edu" is mounting K: from some other
system -- it's a local volume.

We backup NFS mounted filesystems on Unix/Linux this way...

I totally understand, but in that case it's clear that the actual storage
is coming from some other system.

In our case, there's no "other system".  It's a local volume that's
mounted under K:.  I'm just not getting why that's any different than
a local volume on a Linux system mounted under e.g. /home or /var.

I do appreciate all the responses so far, but I'm afraid at this point I
still don't understand why this is different than any locally mounted
filesystem on a Linux, UNIX, or even NetWare system.

Tim