Networker

Re: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?

2012-03-07 16:15:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?
From: Len Philpot <len.philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:14:42 +0000
> From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
> On Behalf Of Tim Mooney

All excellent advice. In fact...

> all mail it receives.  Or it *and* the "Savegroup Completion" report
> could be changed so that they both run a script that you write.  The
> script could look for certain things in the input and log messages to
> a file, send emails to people's cell phones, send SNMP traps to a network
> monitoring platform, etc.  Anything that makes sense for your environment.

Since some of our schedules were SKIPs on certain days (in some places,
entire groups "skipped"), we got tired of getting reports on entirely empty
backups. So, I wrote a filter script to look for valid backup info and send
the report on, but only if it wasn't all SKIPs. The same script also parsed
out the name of the group and some other basic info and put it into the
subject line of the email it sends, so that as they collect in a Lotus Notes
database, it's easier to pick out specific reports. I don't know if it's
still this way, but back when I wrote the script, Networker just put some
standard boilerplate in the subject line, nothing specific to what it was.

Just a simple example of how to customize the notifications.

We also have a cron job (unix server) that generates a custom bootstrap
report every morning and emails it to both the backup admin group as well
as another recipient who's job it is to print it out, take it offsite and
put the printed copy in a vault.

---
Len Philpot