Networker

Re: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?

2012-03-07 12:25:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 11:23:28 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Finding Completion Report History?, Vygur said...:

Thanks for all the help guys, regardless, i'd like to know both ends,
the easy way and the experienced way.  There is always validity in
knowing multiple ways to do the same thing and seeing what works for me.

As long as you understand the risks, sure.  Don't take my comments about
Carsten's method as an indictment -- Carsten is very experienced with
NetWorker and knows a tremendous amount about it, so you should always
carefully consider his advice, and if you choose to ignore it, you should
have a very compelling reason.

Enchanted: in regards to what you put here, where is this command line
tool you speak of?  Do you mean generally logging in to the server via
CLI or is there actually something there in the reports window?

I mean that all of the reports that you see in the reports window, that
you have to generate manually by selecting some parameters and output
options, can *also* be generated automatically via scheduled jobs.

The command line report tool (gstclreport) can be found on the system
that hosts the NMC (NetWorker Management Console).  If you installed it
on a UNIX or Linux server, it probably went into a directory named
/opt/lgtonmc.  Under there would be a bin directory, and in that
directory is a tool called "gstclreport".  There is a "man" page that
describes using the command, though having examples from someone else
that has it working (like the one I provided) can be a help in
understanding the parts where the man page is vague.

If your NMC is hosted on Windows, then I'm not certain what the default
root directory is for NMC, but the command line reporting tool would
still be in the bin directory underneath the NMC root.

 I do
appologize that I am very cautious as the "powers" i have in the
environment I am in can be very destructive if I do something wrong.

Exactly.  As a backup administrator, you cannot afford to be cavalier.

Right now being the new guy in my first networker position, I need to
see what the last guy did, understand it and start tweaking things for
our new environment (single datazone across two buildings with
datadomain dedup).  FYI, the reason why I need to get the older
completion reports is because we have two others who never took the
networker course and only know how to do specific things with networker
and were managing it during time of transition.  Really enough to get by
but not to truly manage etc.  I am tasked with becoming the expert of
our environment and sharing the knowledge with all and documenting it
and one of them had a!  sked me how is that possible.  Thanks again!

Here are a few more things you might want to ponder, then.

When you get notified about something in NetWorker, it's from one of
the "Notifications".  These notifications can be customized to better
suit your environment.  For example, the notification for "Savegroup
Failure" probably defaults to just sending email to "root" or
"administrator" on your NetWorker server.  That could be changed to
instead send to a mailing list that you've created that also archives
all mail it receives.  Or it *and* the "Savegroup Completion" report
could be changed so that they both run a script that you write.  The
script could look for certain things in the input and log messages to
a file, send emails to people's cell phones, send SNMP traps to a network
monitoring platform, etc.  Anything that makes sense for your environment.

Another Notification change to consider: in addition to wherever your
"Bootstrap" notification is going, consider sending a copy to an offsite
address.  Maybe your personal Gmail or Hotmail or whatever account.
There's nothing security-sensitive in the bootstrap, so sending it to
an account that you can get to even if your company email is offline might
just save you some day.

Be advised that there are always trade-offs to any customization that you
do.  It can make upgrades more work, as you have to check that all of
your customizations are still functioning correctly with NetWorker version
X.Y.Z+1.  If you bring in external consultants, they'll probably complain
about your customizations too.

Tim
edu