Networker

[Networker] "Replace at reboot" method when recovering files?

2012-01-17 14:14:21
Subject: [Networker] "Replace at reboot" method when recovering files?
From: Wollef <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:14:08 -0800
Windows Resource Protection guards more files than you'd expect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Resource_Protection

Networker will not reboot the system but places the files in temp space and
creates a Registry entry that Windows will run upon next reboot to replace the
files it could not update.  You can clear the registry key to prevent the file
replacement upon next reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
Value name: PendingFileRenameOperations Data type : REG_MULTI_SZ Value data:
\??\c:\temp\win32k.sys !\??\c:\winnt\system32\win32k.s

Wollef

[quote"Michael Leone"]
Here's one I never saw before - I was recovering files on a NW 7.6.2.3
snode (Win 2008 R2) - all files on a data drive only, no system or program
files of any sort. And I had specified "overwrite". All well and good,
I've done all that before. But during the recovery, I saw a message about
"Failed to open file - using replace at reboot method". That was new to
me, during this type of recovery,.

Leaving aside the fact that I have no idea why that particular file was
being held open (I'm presuming that's why it couldn't be opened), I've
never seen that message before. I have seen the "A reboot is needed to
complete restore" message, but only when overwriting system files, and
these were not.

I already said "No" to the request to reboot to complete; I'm guessing I
can close the nwrecover GUI? It won't do anything silly like try and
reboot the snode, will it?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM