Networker

[Networker] Networker Firewall Setings

2012-01-09 07:27:49
Subject: [Networker] Networker Firewall Setings
From: Lagerstars <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 04:25:17 -0800
I just thought i'd put a reply in here in case it helps someone out there with
this....

It seems that the information i was given by colleagues was incorrect.

>From reading the docs (not the most helpful as i'm sure most will agree) and
>some testing i can confirm that the only config changes i required were for
>the service ports.

As our backup servers use locally attached tape drives, the firewall needed to
be configured to allow the number of ports required for connection to a storage
node, in our case, this was 17 ports from server to client and client to server.
Connection ports were left as 0-0 and from monitoring the flow of traffic in
both directions can confirm the only traffic registered is the initial
connections taking place on the service port range.

Simple really having got on with it myself instead of listening to people here
saying its not possible without opening hundreds / thousands of ports!