Networker

Re: [Networker] Client renaming problems

2011-12-30 06:00:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client renaming problems
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:59:19 +0100
Hi Denis,

the error message is clear.

"new_name already exists with another clientid, rename it "

it means  that a  client with name new_name was defined in the past and the
record still exists in the media db.

You need to unlink the "other" clientid ("other_id") from the "new_name" before
you can use that "new_name" with the "actual" client id.

To break the link between new_name and "other_id" you have to link the
"other_id"  to some other client name that doesn't already exist on networker
(Solution: us a dummy client -- lets call it "dummyclient").

Procedure step by step:

(0) make sure that  new_name is not a client already defined (delete all the
instances  if it is so,  stop  NW and rename the index/new_name to
index/OLD_new_name if exists, then start NW again )

(1) [important -- 1st step] add an entry for the dummyclient to the /etc/hosts.
Example entry:
172.16.0.1   dummyclient

(2) delete all entries of old_name

(3) stop NW

(4) rename index/old_name to index/temp_old_name
(don't use the final name yet to keep it simpler in case of problems)

(5) start Nw on the nw server

(6) create a new client using  dummyclient/other_id  (that should free new_name
from other_id)

(7) create a new client using  new_name/actual_id (where actual_id is the
client Id of the client you wanted to rename)

If everything is alright

(8) stop NW

(9) rename index folders:
    - delete  index/new_name
    - rename index/temp_old_name to index/new_name

(10) start networker

jee