Networker

[Networker] [NetWorker 762] NDMP Restore: files are not restored despite a successful message

2011-12-04 13:19:19
Subject: [Networker] [NetWorker 762] NDMP Restore: files are not restored despite a successful message
From: Abdellatif AIT EL BACHA <aitelbacha_abdellatif AT INFINIBYTE DOT AE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:06:59 +0400
Hello All

My environment:

-          NW Server 762 on Windows 2008

-          Data domain DDBoost devices

-          EMC Celerra

We are backing up the NAS using NDMP. The data are sent to a storage node
running windows 2003 (NW 762) that stores the backup in a Data Domain device
using DDBoost.

The device is a non-NDMP.

The backup runs successfully and 3 TB are backed up without any warnings or
errors.

Connecting to the storage node and running Networker user, we can browse the
NDMP backup and select the files to restore. So far no problem.

When we start the restore, the GUI hangs so we cannot monitor the progress.
So after some time and lot of patience we decided to stop the restore and to
try a single file restore rather than the entire folder that we wanted to
restore.

This is where it becomes weird. The restore runs successfully as per the
messages that are displayed on the GUI but the file is not there. not
restored where we expected it to be and nowhere else.

We did several test with relocate to another folder.. Nothing despite the
successful message.

The NAS client configuration is:

-          SaveSet: All

-          Backup command: nsrndmp_save -c <client_name>  -P <Storage Node
Name>  -M -T dump

-          Application Information: HIST=y; UPDATE=y; DIRECT=y; DSA=y

Again the backup is successful and the index is populated.

I wanted to open a case with EMC support but just wanted to know if you guys
have experienced this issue or if you have any idea or if I have
"misconfigured" or forgotten something.

Other weird behavior in NW762 with DDBoost:

-          During a restore the Read Only device stays in "ready for
reading, idle" during the restore (whatever you restore)

-          The group details of an NDMP backup does not reflect the size of
the data that were backed up. The group details in our case shows 350MB
backed up (which is the CFI size) while the group actually backed up 3TB

Thanks guys for any input!

Regards

A.AEB J